Learning belly dance moves doesn’t have to be intimidating! If you want to master this art form, you should start by learning the basics and then build from there. This article uncovers some belly dancing steps to help you get started and improve your form so you can shake it like no one else!
Belly dancing is a fun, low-impact way to get in shape while having a blast. There’s no need to be self-conscious while learning the moves because you’ll be surrounded by supportive classmates who are all trying to better themselves as well. You’ll not only have an amazing time, but learn some new dance skills as well!
Belly Dance for Beginners Course Steps
Try these simple steps if you are new and ready to try belly dancing for beginners:
- Get a dancer’s outfit – This can include a full-length, form-fitting dress with sequins on it that has a slit up the side of the leg, or it can be a short one that is more like a skirt with slits in the sides. Add some tights, shoes, jewelry and hair accessories to complete your look.
- Start by doing some stretches – These will help you be more flexible so you can move smoothly as you dance. Put your feet together and try to touch your toes while bending forward at the waist. Hold this stretch for about 30 seconds, then repeat on the other side to give both sides of your body equal time to stretch out before moving on to other moves.
- Do some pelvic circles – Stand with your legs apart and bend into a squat position, hands on hips if possible. Shift weight from foot to foot as you circle your hips in each direction. Circle clockwise ten times, then counterclockwise ten times.
- Bend over from the waist and hold for 10 seconds – Do this two times consecutively (hold for 10 seconds). Straighten back up to a standing position and place hands on hips again.
- Watch your instructor carefully, then try them out on your own. You’ll be surprised at how quickly you pick up the basics of belly dancing! Just remember: it’s okay if you’re not perfect right away. Keep practicing and soon enough your movements will become natural for you too!